Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshals’ Hall)

Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshals’ Hall)

The Feldherrnhalle is situated at the southern end of Ludwigstraße. It was built from 1841 to 1844 by Friedrich Gärtner after the example of the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence. In 1923 Adolf Hilter failed an attempted coup at Feldherrnhalle. This is when it became a cult sight for the National Socialist in Munich.

After Hilter came into power people had to do the Nazi salute to the guard of honour every time they passed at Feldherrnhalle. That is why the small alley behind Feldherrnhalle, Viscardigasse was called “coward lane”. The two statues are in remembrance of the two military leaders Johann Tilly and Karl Philipp von Wrede. Only in 1906 the two Lions by Wihelm von Rümann where added.

Feldherrnhalle at a glance!

Photos

The Feldherrnhalle

The Feldherrnhalle *

The Feldherrnhalle Odeonsplace with Feldherrnhalle and Theatinerkirche (Church) Bavarian Army Memorial The Feldherrnhalle

Toolbar-Menu

Feldherrnhalle - Map

Picture: Map of location: Feldherrnhalle

Listen to Informations of Feldherrnhalle as audio

QR-Code Mobile-Version

Address and Links

* Photo: Josef Maiwald [FAV Exclusive], SmarterLife.de

Holidays from the 1st click!