Poet´s Garden (Dichtergarten)

Poet´s Garden (Dichtergarten)

With an area of around 2 hectares, the poet’s garden is located on the site of a bastion built in 1638 during the Thirty Years´ War in the city centre of Munich between the Von-der-Tann-Straße, the Hofgarten and the Prinz-Carl-Palais.

Around 1644 with the founding of the Theatiner Monastery, the grounds were given to the monks for use as a kitchen garden. At the end of the 18 century the monastery garden was transformed into a landscape garden. Later on the garden was used by Bavarian ministers of finance. After the 2nd World War, a petrol station and later a car park occupied the western part of the Poets´ Garden.

It was not until 1984 that this part of the garden once again became a public park. Poets and writers who are connected with Munich are perpetuated here. Statues of Fjodor Iwanowitsch Tjuttschew, of Heinrich Heine and since July 2007 a statue of Konfuzius, the chinese philosopher, in honour of the 20th anniversary of the town twinning between Shandong (China) and Munich. In October 2010 a statue of the polish composer Frederic Chopin was unveiled.

Poet´s Garden at a glance!

Photos

Dichtergarden (Poet´s Garden)

Dichtergarden (Poet´s Garden) *

Toolbar-Menu

Poet´s Garden - Map

Picture: Map of location: Poet´s Garden

Listen to Informations of Poet´s Garden as audio

QR-Code Mobile-Version

Address and Links

Holidays from the 1st click!